Change Starts Here
LA’s BEST was created in 1988 by Mayor Tom Bradley to address an alarming rise in the lack of adequate adult supervision of children during the critical hours between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. We serve 28,000 kids at 189 elementary school sites in Los Angeles in neighborhoods most vulnerable to gangs, drugs, crime and at schools with the lowest student test scores.
The mission of LA's BEST is to provide a safe and supervised after school education, enrichment and recreation program for elementary school children ages 5 to 12 in the City of Los Angeles.
All children need a safe place to be after school with caring, responsible adults and engaging activities that connect each child to his/her school, family and community.
1. Nothing we do is as important as the effect it has on a child.
2. Engaging activities develop values, skills and relationships. Activities are not seen as ends in themselves, but as vehicles for creating values, building skills and solidifying peer and adult relationships. An engaging activity is one that holds children's attention, awakens their imagination, and inspires them to want to learn more.
3. All children have equal rights to be accepted, respected and valued by others. Children are viewed as individuals to be developed, not problems to be solved.
4. Children should be involved in decision-making and program design. If children get to choose how, when, in what and with whom to be engaged, they are far more likely to enjoy themselves and behave cooperatively.
5. When we listen for understanding everyone learns—children and adults alike. We are constantly able to learn from our children as well as each other. Everyone is a learner.
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday: 2:30 – 6:00
Tuesdays: 1:30 – 6:00
Grades: Kinder – 6th Grade
Student Ratios: 20/1
Applications: B5 Office. Monday – Friday. 2:00pm – 6:00pm
Information: (213) 805-1767
Activities offered: Seasonal Sports, Drill Team & Dance, Homework Club, Cooking Club, Science Club, Arts & Crafts, Sports & Fitness Club, Dance, Dance Revolution & WII Club, Performing Arts, Leadership Activities, Adventures In Peacemaking Conflict Resolution Program, ASAP Enhanced Programs, KidzMath & KidzLit Program.
Beyond the Bell
Our role and responsibility is to grow, enhance and strengthen our present programs and to reach out to the greater Los Angeles community to build partnerships before and after school.
The mission of the Beyond the Bell Branch is to ensure that all children and youth in LAUSD have access to high quality, safe, and supervised academic, enrichment, and recreation programs that inspire learning and achievement beyond the regular school day (before and after school and Saturdays).
Every child and youth should have a safe place to be in the presence of a responsible, caring adult with engaging activities that support achievement and promote social, emotional, physical development beyond the regular school day.
Evaluation is a critical part of all expanded day programs and each component of an out-of-school program must be evaluated based on a set of performance indicators.
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday: 2:30 - 6:00 pm
Tuesdays: 1:30 - 6:00 pm
Grades: 2nd - 6th Grade
Ages: 7 - 12
Applications: School Office or visit Ms. Monica on lower yard from 2:30 - 6:00 pm
For more information on where you can apply please visit the Office or ask to speak with Ms. Monica.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Phone: (213) 241-7900
Fax: (213) 241-7562
333 S. Beaudry Ave, Floor 29
Beyond the Bell Branch Central Office
LOW TO NO COST AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM
Some Services Offered:
Variety of Activities
Child Protective Services
Seeking Permanent Housing