Coronavirus School Update
March 11, 2020
Dear Parents/ Guardians,
As you may already be aware, we are taking precautions in light of the recent news regarding COVID-19 (also known as Coronavirus) At this time, there are no confirmed cases of the coronavirus in our school community, however, Superintendent Beutner has provided us direction around schools and events.
· All field trips are cancelled until further notice.
· The book fair has been cancelled.
· Afterschool Intervention has been cancelled until further notice.
· Open House and any evening or afterschool events are postponed until further notice.
· All outside use of school facilities is cancelled until further notice. (i.e.: PTA meetings, PTA Events, Church Services, etc.)
· Sharing tables at meal times has been restricted by the LA County Department of Health.
· At this time, EYS and LA’s Best are still open as usual.
We recognize these new restrictions will cause some difficulty and disappointment among many who are involved. Whether they be students and teachers who have worked hard to prepare for a competition or families and community members who have helped organize events to celebrate students and connect the schools to the communities they serve. We hope all involved can appreciate the need to protect the health and safety of all who are part of the school community.
Here are some steps we are taking here at Mayberry:
· We are sanitizing high use areas of the school (such as handrails, doorknobs, phones, play structures, etc) daily. We are also sanitizing restrooms, water fountains, sinks and the nurse’s office twice daily.
· Students have packets with at least 2 weeks-worth of work that will be going home today or tomorrow, in the event of a possible school closure.
· You received two pages of resources for parents and students yesterday with links to online activities for students to use.
· We have reviewed healthy habits and handwashing with all students.
Given this information, The district is sending out important updates regarding Coronavirus twice a day via twitter and the district website - lausd.net and https://achieve.lausd.net/latestnews . Please make sure you are checking the district website for the most up-to-date information regarding the district's plan for supporting our school community. Additionally, Mayberry will send out school specific updates as needed. Please note that our updates will appear in the following formats: Email, Phone Call, Text, Twitter, and Facebook. If you do not receive our connect-ed messages, please log into the parent portal and verify you have opted in to receive messages.
Thank you for your patience and understanding,
Jessica Niessen, Principal